All model output in the CMIP5 archive is now available for “unrestricted” use, with data usage being conditional on the following terms:
- I will hold no individual(s), organization(s), or group(s) responsible for any errors in the models or in their output data.
- In publications that rely on the CMIP5 model output, will appropriately credit the data providers by an acknowledgment similar to the following:
- “We acknowledge the World Climate research Programme's Working Group on Coupled Modelling, which is responsible for CMIP, and we thank the climate modeling groups (listed in Table XX of this paper) for producing and making available their model output. For CMIP the U.S. Department of Energy's Program for Climate Model Diagnosis and Intercomparison provides coordinating support and led development of software infrastructure in partnership with the Global Organization for Earth System Science Portals.”
- Where “Table XX” in your paper should list the models and modeling groups that provided the data you used.
If you wish to redistribute CMIP5 data to others (beyond your close collaborators, please be sure to:
- Inform them that the original CMIP5 data can be accessed through the ESGF data portals (see https://esgf-node.llnl.gov/projects/esgf-llnl or the project page at https://esgf-node.llnl.gov/search/cmip5.